Bedside Table Makeover

Years ago when my husband and I moved into our first house after we got married, we bought a bedroom set of 2 bedside tables and an 8-drawer dresser. They were made of solid wood, simple/clean style and the perfect scale for our bedroom. They have continued to work well for us over the past 10 years and I have never once regretted the decision to buy the set. Here is what the bedside tables look like.

Plain and simple with lots of storage.

Plain and simple with lots of storage.

One thing I will say is that I never liked the handles. I had always planned on changing them. When we first bought them, I looked for new handles but couldn't find any that I liked that had the same hole spacing as the existing ones and then life happened and I forgot about finding new handles so they stayed all this time. So are you ready to see it? Here you go!

Just, WOW!

Just, WOW!

What do you think? Quite the change and I love it! Do you want to know what products I used? Here's a list...

All materials purchased at my local Home Depot

All materials purchased at my local Home Depot

For stripping the paint I used this EZ Strip product. It doesn't have any nasty chemicals in it so I was able to do it inside in the relative comfort of my basement without worrying. You don't even have to use gloves! And it works! You need to really slather it on and leave it for a good 30 minutes - 1 hour but after that, the paint came off so easily.

For the white I decided to finally try chalk paint. I know I'm about 5 years late to that party but I'm here now so lay off! I chose to try out the Rustoleum Chalk Paint in Linen White. And while the end result is very nice, it wasn't nearly as effortless as all the chalk paint admirers had made it out to be. While I didn't sand, or prime, it still took 4 coats of paint to cover the black paint underneath. So for the matching bedside table and dresser, I think I will use a primer first and hopefully that will cut down on the number of coats. The Chalk Paint Clear Coat went on very nicely and though it didn't change the finish because I chose the Matte finish on purpose it's nice to know that there is another layer of protection.

For the top and the drawers I used Minwax Stain in Special Walnut, 2 coats and then finished it up with 2 coats of Varathane water based clear poly.

And the last decision was the handles. At first I had grand ideas of making my own handles from leather belts. I even had purchased them but once the stain was on and I looked at the leather against the wood, I just wasn't loving it and I knew making those handles was going to involve a little more work so I started looking around and of course, Lee Valley had the perfect handles. Well they had more than 1 to be honest but I ended up choosing the Vintage Bin Pull. And like magic, those handles were on (or more specifically my husband drilled new holes and screwed them on for me!) One more time, here's the before and after. And if you have any questions about how I did anything or the products I used, leave me a comment.

Now I just have to do the other bedside table and the dresser!

Now I just have to do the other bedside table and the dresser!