DIY Feature Wall and Light for Purple Clouds Bedroom

If you read my last post you've seen my guest bedroom makeover and know that we switched our daughter's room and guest room. I started a post to show the full reveal but as I got going I noticed that it was going to be the LONGEST BLOG POST EVER! So I decided to break it up into a few separate posts that break down the DIYs from this room and then finish with some overall reveal shots at the end. Today I will start with a post on the feature wall and bedside light we did in her room.

As a starting point I asked my daughter what her favourite colour was and she answered "purple"!  I knew I wanted a feature wall so after I painted that wall white, I painted all the other walls Purple Clouds (30RB 68/084) by Dulux. I then taped off this herringbone pattern.

A little blurry, always in a rush when I'm in the middle of a project!

A little blurry, always in a rush when I'm in the middle of a project!

Then I painted over the tape with some leftover paint from another project (a light grey mixed with a bit of white) and then painted some random pieces in the same purple as the rest of the room. I carefully pulled off the tape and here's how it turned out...

SO COOL!

SO COOL!

What do you think? Almost everyone who has seen it in person walks to the wall and touches it and many have also thought it was wallpaper and are totally stunned when I tell them it's all paint! This wall brings so much interest and fun into the room and best of all it cost very little. Wallpaper can be very expensive and tricky to install. This wall cost me about $20 as I already had the white and grey paint on hand and was using the purple in the rest of the room. Other than that, it was 2 rolls of painters tape and my time.

Ok, so that was DIY #1 for this post, the second DIY is the bedside light. All of the supplies for this one came from IKEA and took about 15 minutes to make. It doesn't get any easier!

The trip to IKEA to get supplies is the hardest part of this project!

The trip to IKEA to get supplies is the hardest part of this project!

Here's the supply list:

It's kinda crazy that the most expensive part of this lamp is the lamp dimmer but unless you can reach the outlet easily, it is essential. IKEA used to have their own which we were about 1/2 the cost of this one but they don't seem to have it anymore and to give you an honest review, they don't work as well as these Lutron ones.

The copper inside the shade makes the room glow pink at night!

The copper inside the shade makes the room glow pink at night!

To make this lamp is super simple. Using a drill bit a little larger than the cord, make the 2 holes that are already on the top of the shelf bracket a little bigger and drill a new hole in the bottom corner of the diagonal part of the wood. Disassemble the light socket from the cord and feed the cord through the holes then reattach the socket, attach the shade and screw in the bulb. Then mount the bracket to the wall using the holes already drilled in the vertical piece and you're done!

Of course if you didn't want to take the socket part off the cord, you could also just wind the cord around the bracket after you've attached it to the wall. I wanted to feed the cord through the bracket for a cleaner look.

So there are the first 2 DIYs from this room. I will post the next ones next week and slowly but surely we'll get to the full room reveal!